Audio editing and consultation on this episode provided by Andrew Pfannkuche
The first episode of Mike Duncan’s Revolutions on the Latin American Wars of Independence can be found here.
- Anderson, Fred. Crucible of War: The Seven Years’ War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766. New York: Alfred A Knopf, 2000.
- Arana, Marie. Bolivar: The Epic Life of the Man Who Liberated South America. London: Phoenix, 2014 .
- Bethell, Leslie. “Politics in Brazil: From Elections without Democracy to Democracy without Citizenship.” Daedalus. 129:2 (Spr 2000) 1-27.
- Burns, E Bradford. A History of Brazil, Third Edition. New York: Columbia University Press, 1993.
- Cao, Benito. “White Hegemony in the (Re)Birth of Brazil.” Humanities Research. 17:1 (2011) 35-57.
- Cary, Diana Serra. “Failed First Step Toward Mexican Independence.” Military History. 17:4 (Oct 2000) 34-41.
- DuVal, Kathleen. Independence Lost: Lives on the Edge of the American Revolution. New York: Random House, 2016 .
- “El Grito de Dolores.” Wise Guide. Library of Congress. Sep 2009. https://www.loc.gov/wiseguide/sept09/independence.html [Last Accessed: 25 Jul 2017]
- Elliott, J H. Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America, 1492-1830. New Haven, CT and London: Yale University Press, 2007 .
- Esdaile, Charles. Napoleon’s Wars: An International History. New York: Penguin, 2009 .
- Manchester, Alan K. “The Growth of Bureaucracy in Brazil, 1808-1821.” Journal of Latin American Studies. 4:1 (May 1972) 77-83.
- Nagel, Paul C. John Quincy Adams: A Public Life, a Private Life. New York: Alfred A Knopf, 1997.
- Paquette, Gabriel. “The Dissolution of the Spanish Atlantic Monarchy.” The Historical Journal. 52:1  175-212.
- Remini, Robert V. Henry Clay: Statesman for the Union. New York: W W Norton & Co, 1991.
- Seager, Robert, II. The Papers of Henry Clay, Volume 8: Candidate, Compromiser, Whig, March 5, 1829-December 31, 1836. Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky, 1984.
- Whitaker, Arthur P. The United States and the Independence of Latin America, 1800-1830. New York: W W Norton & Co, 1964 .
Other sources for learning about the Latin American Wars of Independence that I came across in my research but did not have a chance to consult are as follows:
- Bethell, Leslie. From Independence to 1870. The Cambridge History of Latin America, Vol. 3. Cambridge University Press, 1987.
- Burns, Bradford E. The Poverty of Progress: Latin America in the Nineteenth Century. Berkeley, University of California Press, 1980.
- Chasteen, John Charles. Americanos: Latin America’s Struggle for Independence. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Costeloe, Michael P. Response to Revolution: Imperial Spain and the Spanish American Revolutions, 1810–1840. Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Dominguez, Jorge. Insurrection or Loyalty: the Breakdown of the Spanish American Empire. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1980.
- Hamill, Hugh M. The Hidalgo Revolt: Prelude to Mexican Independence. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1966.
- Harvey, Robert. Liberators: Latin America`s Struggle For Independence, 1810-1830. John Murray, London (2000).
- Prago, Albert. The Revolutions in Spanish America. New York: The Macmillan Co, 1970
- Walker, Charles F. Smoldering Ashes: Cuzco and the Creation of Republican Peru, 1780–1840. Durham and London: Duke University Press, 1999.