- Bemis, Samuel Flagg. John Quincy Adams and the Foundations of American Foreign Policy. New York: Alfred A Knopf, 1956.
- Berton, Pierre. The Invasion of Canada, 1812-1813. Toronto: Anchor Canada, 2001 .
- Borneman, Walter R. 1812: The War That Forged a Nation. New York: HarperCollins, 2004.
- Cleaves, Freeman. Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Time. Newtown, CT: American Political Biography Press, 2010 .
- Collins, George C, ed. Fifty Reasons why the Honorable Henry Clay Should Be Elected President of the United States. By an Irish Adopted Citizen. Baltimore, MD: Murphy, 1844.
- Esdaile, Charles. Napoleon’s Wars: An International History. New York: Penguin, 2007.
- Hopkins, James F, ed. The Papers of Henry Clay: Volume I, The Rising Statesman 1797-1814. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Press, 1959.
- Ketcham, Ralph. James Madison: A Biography. Charlottesville, VA and London: University Press of Virginia, 1994 .
- Latimer, Jon. 1812: War With America. Cambridge, MA and London: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2007. Nagel, Paul C. John Quincy Adams: A Public Life, a Private Life. New York: Alfred A Knopf, 1997.
- Remini, Robert V. Henry Clay: Statesman for the Union. New York: W W Norton & Co, 1991.
- Risjord, Norman K. “Election of 1812.” History of American Presidential Elections 1789-1968: Volume I. Arthur M Schlesinger, Jr, ed. New York: Chelsea House and McGraw-Hill, 1971. p. 249-296.
- Rutland, Robert Allen. The Presidency of James Madison. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1990.
- US Census Bureau. “Table 16. Population: 1790 to 1990.” United States Summary. 26 August 1993. https://www.census.gov/population/www/censusdata/files/table-16.pdf. Last Accessed: 10 April 2017.
The music sample from this episode came from the Henry Clay APUSH Video by Ben Glasser available on YouTube which is a highly recommended, humorous ode to Clay’s accomplishments. Believe me, the tune’s addictive.
And finally, for those interested, the t-shirts mentioned in the episode:
|Andrew‘s 1844 Clay Campaign Shirt||My 1840 Tippecanoe Campaign Shirt|